Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Anticipation of Sex and the City

It's finally ALMOST HERE! The movie we have all been waiting for (well, at least since the first one). Sex and the City 2. Seriously, Are you as excited as I am?

Women everywhere have been gearing up for this even for the past few weeks and months: dreaming of Manolos and Jimmy Choos, spending money on beautiful dresses, ordering cosmos, gossiping about men with their girlfriends, using the word FABULOUS more than is really necessary. And the commercial cash-in has taken London by storm. It seems like everywhere you look there is a poster with 4 women modeling glamorous clothing. Every single page of every single magazine seems to be referencing SATC. And today I got at least 4 emails from different London venues totally promoting pre-SATC cosmos and something called a Hunk Martini.

Well, I'm going to see Sex and the City 2 with a sexy girl group next Wednesday. And I can't wait! And we are so totally going to rock pretty dresses and drink cosmos before. As you should!

Just watching the trailer gives me chills! If you haven't seen it, check it out!



Ahhhh!!! Isn't it great? I so can't wait to see what unfolds between Carrie and Big. And AIDEN!! I can't believe he just shows up!! Ok for real... how hot is Aiden? Out of all the guys Carrie dated, he was my favorite. I never really quite understood the attraction to Mr. Big or the Russian for that matter.

Speaking of ex's popping up randomly. The Beautiful Swede Facebooked me (yes, I do believe it's a verb these days) today. It was a stupid message to say he still thinks of me and that he hopes I have a great birthday (which is by the way still well over a week away and I will be in Stockholm for it - although he doesn't know that). The NERVE! I mean, we all know he has a girlfriend! Why is he still stalking me? LEAVE. ME. ALONE.

I have to say though, I'm quite proud of myself. Unlike last time, I didn't totally loose my shit. This time, I only spent 5 minutes composing answers in my head like "Who are you? I have erased you from my memory." Then I deleted the message and went to the gym. Ok. Ok. I lied. I didn't delete the message (I tried to but for some reason my finger wouldn't press delete - Bad finger)! But I did leave the computer and go to the gym (eventually). And I did not even spend the whole time taking my aggression out on the stairmaster and composing alternative responses in my head. Ooops. Lied again. Sorry.

But I digress - as usual. Back to the topic of the day (or at least of this blog): Sex and the City. The funny thing is that the first time I watched all the episodes (yes, I am a faithful fan and I have done the box set rounds at least twice), I was in my early twenties (imagine). And I have to say as much as I found it amusing and funny, I couldn't really relate. It was probably due to the fact that I was living in China, had a boyfriend and was insanely poor so fashionable clothes and Jimmy Choos were not even a thought on the horizon... But mostly, I was just YOUNG! I guess I couldn't really relate to the girls because to be honest, I didn't ever see myself as BEING those girls. I'm pretty sure that I thought I would be happily married and having children in my thirties and therefore would never really experience that lifestyle. Plus, I was kind of a prude and I couldn't believe that single gals could have that much SEX! (Oh what little did I know).

Fast forward 6 years to the second time I watch the series (just this past autumn actually). And SUDDENLY I had the revelation that I assume many 30-something women have: MY LIFE IS SO LIKE SEX AND THE CITY. Ok without the Jimmy Choos. And without the fabulous wardrobe (although with definitely a more fabulous wardrobe than in my 20's). Ok and without Mr. Big. Ok and without quite the same amount of sex... But you know what I mean. The point is. I suddenly totally get it. These are women in their 30's who have either decided not to get married and have babies or it just hasn't happened for them yet. They are beautiful, they are confident, they are sexy, they have careers, they are enjoying life, they are dating lots of men, they have cash to spend on clothes and shoes, they look amazing. and they are Freaking FABULOUS!

I mean why did I start to write this blog? For the same reason. I wanted to represent the alternative lifestyle for single 30-something women out there. I wanted to show that there is something to do in your thirties other than have babies and husbands (not that I have a problem with it - it just hasn't happened to me yet). So, instead I'm focusing on being FABULOUS. And of course, there is no better inspiration than Sex and the City. Thank you Keri, Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha for showing me it can be done. And it can be done with style. And it can be done in very high heels. And it can be lots of fun. And there can be lots of men. Oh - and there can be lots of SEX.

So, in anticipation of a great movie... I leave you with some words of wisdom from the one and only Carrie Bradshaw:

Later that day I got to thinking about relationships. There are those that open you up to something new and exotic, those that are old and familiar, those that bring up lots of questions, those that bring you somewhere unexpected, those that bring you far from where you started, and those that bring you back to life. But the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that's just fabulous.

-Carrie Bradshaw

No comments: